Fliegerhorst Grove.

 
         
 

Home

 
         
 

Back

 
         
 

 
             
  Part 16.  V-1 at Grove?  
             
 

It has now been proven, that Flg.Hrst Grove, at the end of the war, had the infrastructure required to support flight operations with V-1.  The final proof was a drawing of a Richthaus made in 1950 by the authorities responsible for the dismantling of structures not required by the RDAF.  The drawing was discovered by Mr. Jørn Junker in May 2010 in an archive, which had received little attention by other researchers.

 st
             
             
     
             
  A purely speculative diorama of a He 111H with a V-1 in a Splitterbox of the type found at Grove.  
 

 

 
  The building below has some resemblance with a V-1 Richthaus.  So when we came across it, it was natural to speculate in airborne V-1 operations from Grove.  Below are some facts related to the issue.  
         
  24 August 1944 a resistance group reports:  
  "V-1 launch ramps are being built at a rapid pace at Krarup (sic).  A large storage area has been established".  
     
  10 December 1944 another group reports:  
   "It is correct that a fenced, heavily guarded area, has been established in the north eastern part of Karup airfield.  The purpose has not been established, but it is considered unlikely, that it is a launch area for V-1 and V-2 for the following reasons:  
  1.  The area is too small.  
  2.  It would be impossible undetected to transport in the building material required.  
  3.  The airfield has not been provided with the technical support equipment or liquid oxygen required for the launch of V-1 and V-2"  
     
  In March and April 1945 a total of seven V-1 crashed in Denmark.  Some exploded, some did not.  Part of one of these missiles was put on display in a Danish museum just after the war.  The picture below depicts the air-launched version, identifiable on the three suspension point just in front of the attachment tube for the wing.  
         
     
         
 

Please note the three suspension point just in front of the wing-mount.

 

Drawing from "Air-launched Doodlebugs", by Peter J. C. Smith.

 
     
  The RAF Disarmament Wing responsible for Denmark reported in late 1945, that no V-1s had been found in Denmark.  
     
     
 

 

 
         
 

Immediate post war map drawn by personnel from the Danish Ministry of the Interior as part of a report describing the airfield.  There was indeed an area surrounded by barbed wire and obstacles in the NE part of the airfield.  This area was possibly a Stützpunkt, since there are several fortifications in the area.  Please see map below and note 3 buildings evenly spaced along the Rollbahn.

 

An enlargement of the map opposite, depicting three Splitterboxen and one of the buildings (731 b) mentioned in the report.

 
         
 

 
         
 

   
         
 

Photo of the area above right in APR 1945.  At least five dark camouflaged aircraft can be seen in the Splitterboxen.  Please note building 731 b and the concrete access road.  The building has not been camouflaged yet and the road has not been toned down in contrast to the Rollbahn, which dates back to the spring of 1944.

 

The same area in 1949, the building has been demolished, but the foundation and access road remains.

 
     
 

   
         
 

An enlargement of the map above, depicting building 731 b. In the Ministry report the building is described as follows: "Garage: 200 m2, walls of single bricks, flat roof, sliding doors. Concrete floor with circular groove 15 x 20 cm, approx. 5 m in diameter".

  Sketch of building 731. It is a reconstruction based on the written description, the material above, our excavation and a reevaluation of all the material on hand.  It bears some resemblance with the V-1 Richthaus and Einstellzelt, the building used for final assembly and compass adjustment of the V-1.  This type of building has not been found on any of the other German FlH in Denmark.  
         
 

 
         
 

Drawing by Danish authorities responsible for demolishing the building.  This clearly depicts a Richthaus, notice the diameter of the groove in the floor of 8,5 m.

 
         
 

 

 
         
 

The excavation site.  The Sockel was exactly 12 x 12 m, the size specified for the Einstellzelt in "Bautechnische Richtlinien für Startplätze FGZ 76"

 
         
  At the German airfields in The Netherlands (Venlo, Gilze-Rijen and Eindhoven), which were used for V-1 operations by KG 53, three Richthaus buildings were built as standard.  These had a dimension of 12 x 12 .  Modified He-111H were used as launch aircraft.  
     
  On 9 NOV 1944 the Chef des Luftwaffenbauwesenes issued "Bautechnische Richtlinien für Startplätze FGZ 76" (BAMA RH 19/102) it is noteworthy that this document was sent for Action to OT-Einsatz Dänemark.  I am deeply indebted to Herr. Detlev Paul for having shared his research and this document.  
         
     
         
 

Another area surrounded by barbed wire and obstacles in the NW part of the airfield.  This area was not a Stützpunkt, and there is a Splitterbox in the center.  This box is an addition to the 16 clusters of three found on the airfield and one must assume it was built for a special purpose.

 

Photo of the area opposite APR 1945.  There are three small objects, possibly dark camouflaged, small aircraft in the Box.  Known aircraft types at Grove at this time was Fw 190G, Ju 88A-4, Ju 88G-6, He 219 and Ar 234.

 
         
     
         
 

Underground building with unknown function.  It is almost completely embedded in the soil, it is somewhat remote from other buildings, but located in the main aircraft maintenance area. It does bear some resemblance with the Zunderlager, which was a building specially designed for storage of V-1 fuzes.  When one embeds a building this deep, it is either because it contains something essential, which should be offered maximum protection, or one wants to protect the surroundings if what ever is in the building accidentally blows up.

 
         
  As mentioned earlier seven V-1 crashed in Denmark in MAR - APR 1945.  The only known ground location, where they could have been launched from, was Cuxhaven/Altenwalde, where V-1 ramps had been constructed in 1944.  From here experiments were conducted with an extended range version of the V-1.  One V-1, however came down near Silkeborg in central Jutland, that is quite a distance from Altenwalde.  Please note that one German expert witness categorically denies that V-1s were ever launched from this area.  On the other hand the evidence indicating ground launches from this site is overwhelming.  
  It has now been established, that launches from Altenwalde actually did take place from late 1944 and continued to as late as early April 1945, thanks to a document found by Mr. Carsten Petersen.  The primary objective of these trials were to finish the development of the extended range V-1.  Please see:  Air 40 2875 Cuxhaven V-1 trials.  
         
 

Document describing some aspects of KG 53/V-1 operations from Eggebek.

 
         
 

 
         
  Three identical buildings at FlH Leck in the summer of 1945 located close to the Rollbahn in the northern dispersal area.  Leck was for a period used as an operating base for KG 53.  An ammunition depot (please see: Geschichte der Luftmunitionsanstalt Boostedt ) with V-1 was located in the vicinity no doubt serving all V-1 bases in the area.  
         
  According to "Air-launched Doodlebugs", by Peter J. C. Smith the Zyklop system was deployed along the Dutch coast as navigational aid for V-1 launching He 111 units.  A Zyklop was deployed to Denmark (the Thisted area) in the spring of 1945, and at the time of the liberation it was located in GOLDREGEN 15 km NE of Grove along with a Freya LZ with IFF.  The Zyklop was manned by personnel from 10./Flugs.Rgt. West, which was now subordinated to K.G.d.Dt.Lw.i.Dänemark.  
         
  Another Kp. from the same Rgt. (2./Flugs.Rgt. West) was also deployed to the Thisted area in Klitmøller.  This Kp. manned the Flugsicherungszentrale KREUTZOTTER.  The foundation (Radiopejlestation Tørvekær) for a 6 mast Adcock (Fu Peil 70) has been found a few km east of the site.  This type of Adcock was used to track the FuG 23 transmitter employed in a small percentage of all V-1 launched in order to get an indication of the accuracy of the missile.  According to a communication diagram contained in "V-1 - Eifelschreck" by W. Gückelhorn & D. Paul there was a direct, dedicated telephone line from KREUTZOTTER to the Gef.Std. of Flak-Rgt. 155, the formation responsible for V-1 operations.  
         
 

 
         
 

A Fu Peil 70.